Sunday, September 27, 2009

El Ten Eleven

This week i am showcasing a band I just recently discovered called El Ten Eleven, another instrumental group out of Los Angeles.
The group consists of Tim Fogarty on electric drums and synthesizer, and Kristian Dunn on the bass guitar. Founded in 2003 after the duo played in a four piece ensemble together Dunn and Fogarty began perfecting their ambient, hypnotic, and sometimes poppy sound. They released a self titled album in 2004 and have since followed up with Every Direction is North and their latest effort, These Promises are Being Videotaped.
While listening to the self titled album for the first time, I found myself pleasantly surprised by each track. Not knowing what to expect, there was no place for me to set the bar, which I feel is a good thing, especially when listening to new music since no two bands are going to sound the same( except for the occasional boy-band). The opening track entitled, My Only Swerving, which sounds like the opening to a movie. I then skipped to the more upbeat Central Nervous Piston, which has almost a techno-esque sound. I definitely enjoyed the diversity of this record.
Combining spacey guitar riffs with the sharpness of an electronic drum kit, El Ten Eleven creates great background for just about anything. The group is extremely dynamic and is able to establish a very distinct and unique sound, unlike anything else i have heard in awhile. I would most definitely recommend this group to anyone with a sweet spot for instrumental bands.

No comments:

Post a Comment